Saturday, June 25, 2005

Durbin's miserable "apology"...

...gets a fisking by The American Expatriot, who also exposes some selective reporting by the ever-faithful BBC:

...probably seeing that this was turning into a political nightmare, Durbin started his climb-down. Still not willing to make an actual apology, Durbin issued this damage control statement:

I have learned from my statement that historical parallels can be misused and misunderstood. I sincerely regret if what I said caused anyone to misunderstand my true feelings: Our soldiers around the world and their families at home deserve our respect, admiration and total support.


Unfortunately for Durbin, this was largely seen as the non-apology apology that it was. And the issue had blown up so much now that newspapers, including his home state's own Chicago Tribune, were starting to address the issue in editorials. So, yet again, he felt compelled to issue a statement yesterday, which the BBC has finally picked up. Still, Durbin couldn’t resist shading the apology just a bit, saying (unreported by the BBC):

Some may believe that my remarks crossed a line. To them, I extend my heartfelt apologies.

Get it? He didn’t really cross the line, but he’s sincerely sorry if you think he did.

Link here: http://theamericanexpatinuk.blogspot.com/2005/06/real-durbin-story.html; cruise thru this blog, much of which depicts foreign media coverage of the United States, and you may start to understand "why they hate us"...

No comments: