Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Obama Butts Heads With Ayn Rand, Again....

...and Rand wins, again, based on reason and rationality. But as we discussed the other day, that is not what Barack is counting on to win the election.

Anyway - Barack on his ideal Supreme Court Justice:

“[W]e need somebody who’s got the heart, the empathy, to recognize what it’s like to be a young teenage mom. The empathy to understand what it’s like to be poor, or African-American, or gay, or disabled, or old. And that’s the criteria by which I’m going to be selecting my judges.”

Steven Calabresi, co-founder of the Federalist Society, boils down Obama's nonsense to obe simple truth:

Empathy, not justice, ought to be the mission of the federal courts, and the redistribution of wealth should be their mantra.

And what does Ayn Rand have to say about that? She speaks, through the voice of Judge Narragansett, who explains why he quit the bench and went "on strike":

Yes," said Judge Narragansett. "I quit when the court of appeals reversed my ruling. The purpose for which I had chosen my work was my resolve to be a guardian of justice. But the laws they asked me to enforce made me the executor of the vilest injustice conceivable. I was asked to use force to violate the rights of disarmed men, who came before me to seek my protection for their rights.

Litigants obey the verdict of a tribunal solely on the premise that there is an objective rule of conduct, which they both accept. Now I saw that one man was to be bound by it, but the other was not, one was to obey a rule, the other was to assert an arbitrary wish - his need - and the law was to stand on the side of the wish.

Justice was to consist of upholding the unjustifiable. I quit - because I could not have borne to hear the words 'Your Honor' addressed to me by an honest man."

Imagine the men Obama will appoint; those who will place "need" over the objective values of the law...they will have no problem sneering at distressed plantiffs, telling them the law is powerless to help them; it is only empowered to hurt them...

No comments: