Monday, June 13, 2011

Barack Obama IS LeBron James, after all !

Jim Geraghty reminds us of this notable quotable:

“I’m LeBron, baby. I can play on this level. I got some game.”

Those words were uttered by then-state senator Barack Obama, shortly before he gave his speech at the 2004 Democratic National Convention.

I suppose he was good enough to speak at a convention, but when he got to the top of the shining hill in Washington DC, was he able to back up his talk?

As well as Lebron James, I suppose:

"Any time you feel like you get to the top of the mountain and you fall off, there’s definitely a personal failure," James said, taking it like a man.

"It was a failure in ’07 when we lost to the Spurs when I was in Cleveland.

"It’s a failure now for myself losing to the Mavericks. Absolutely."


Well, unlike King Obama, King James recognizes his failures as such.  But much like our petulant man-child in the White House, James could not help taking a dig at the "commoners":

“At the end of the day, all the people rooting for me to fail, they have to wake up tomorrow and have the same life they had before they woke up today,” James said. “They have the same personal problems they had today. I’m going to continue to live the way I want to live. . . . They can get a few days or a few months on being happy about not only myself but the Miami Heat not accomplishing their goal, but they have to get back to the real world at some point.”

A different version of Obama's "bitter clingers" speech, to be sure, but similar in that both these wanna be iconic figures project their own petty nastiness onto ordinary people that they feel don't give then the love and adulation they so richly deserve.

Two men who would be giants, but instead chose to remain small when the moment called.  Sad, actually...

RS McCain has another take, reminding us that Obama picked the Heat to win it all, thus ensuring a different type of losing streak....

No comments: